Monday 20 October 2014

Fitness, New friends and a positive outlook to life.

It's 1am in the morning and I just got back from a leg and ab workout at the gym. I've been working out for the past 3 weeks now and I don't know if I've seen physical progress, however on the other hand I feel stronger and much fitter than when I started. 

I used to struggle walking up the moving escalators from the Melbourne Central station platforms to the RMIT university. For me, at the start walking nonstop up the stairs and to get my arse to uni was a struggle every morning especially when I was late to class. I used to breathe very heavily and feel that I was about to die once I got to class, with also the struggle of trying to cover my loud huffing puffing breathing in class (it was pure embarressment). The first week of joining my gym I had 4 sessions that week. I was impressed I even got my arse to the gym. After those 4 sessions I can already feel progress in my cardiovascular workouts. Walking up those escalators to Uni wasn't a struggle no more. I actually felt fitter and stronger when I was overtaking those lazy asses who stand on the left railings of the escalator. I walked up those steps nonstop with a steady breathing patterern. Walking my usual pace, I was pretty excited that no heavy breathing was occuring once I reached class. 

Eating is one problem area. As you know, 'abs are made in the kitchen', '80% diet, 20% workout' and it's true. I've struggle massively with clean eating these past few weeks. i dont think i've gone a week without multiple cheat meals. I meal prep every sunday night, making sure I get a my dose of proteins, veggies, fruit and carbs. It's a mental struggle with staying on the ball to eat what you prepped. Going to uni, I would sometimes go a day without eating anything. Even if i've got my food prepped with me. Further, the temptations around my uni is irresistible, food here and there, everywhere!!. 

Friends. Something that I've had to think about big time on this 'life improvement' i should say. Although at the time, I never really thought the people I mingled with were negatively affecting my life. However, the more I started focusing on myself; pushing limits in the gym, trying to resist temptations, setting up my goals and changing my whole mindset on life has made me realise how these 'friends' were negatively affecting my lifestyle. I used to sneak out midnight, meeting up with these people and cruise the streets. Getting high, driving under the influence of drugs, getting disgusting midnight grub at Fast Food places and sometimes doing inappropriate and disturbing actions with strangers. 

I never thought I'd get into that groove, but I did. I've recently cleaned up my act, no more midnight cruises (what a waste of petrol huh?), no more intake of illegal substances and no more screwing around with strangers doing actions that were meant to be sacred. 

I've stopped mingling with these group of people, well avoiding and rejecting every invite and conversation that comes up. One thing is, these certain people are those who I actually grew up with. It's hard to avoid them but I try my best. 

But what should I do? Should I completely cut them out of my life? What would happened if I were to do that? Would seeing them at gatherings be awkward? I don't know, but all I know is that their no benefit in my life. 

Changing my life, has really opened up more doors recently. I've started to meet new friends that are career driven and know what they want in life, these guys are the most supportive people I've ever met in my life, they are full of confidence and bring out the best in me. I feel positive, happy and inspired around them. I don't get pressured into doing uncomfortable things, I only get inspired and motivated to start this new path. They support me, and help me when I need that extra push.

Everyone has those days where they feel like shit and uninspired, but having these guys around always changes my mood, always gets me going. Some of these guys are bodybuilders, personal trainers and fitness freaks, some are just career-driven  in the business world. But I've never thought I would ever meet these inspiring friends. I never thought I would have even gotten out the rut I was stuck in.

I feel that if I stick to this path of constantly hammering through each and  every tough workout in the gym, focusing on uni and positively surrounding and attracting myself to the people who bring out the goods. Then achieving my personal goals and dreams is possible. I can do this, it's going to take time and alot of effort, there are going to be alot of fails and giving up but I've just gotta push through, get back on that daily grind and keeping going with the momentum. 

It's hard. Mentally, it's really hard. I've struggled big time. I can understand why I've always failed at getting fitter. I kept on quitting, and essentially l fell out of motivation. But now I understand that this time, I'm really focusing on myself, becoming persistent, subtracting negative people out of my life and start to surrounding myself with people who inspire me, motive me and even bring out the best in me. That's all I need in life, positivity.

No comments:

Post a Comment